Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Oh, my god

Okay,
President Bush's job approval rating has slipped to 39%, the lowest measure of his presidency, according to a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll


As Matthew Gross says, it's getting harder for we leftie blogs to know what to say about things like this. Fortunately, we don't have nearly the worries of right-wing bloggers like Don Surber.

Surber's response to the poll is positively surly (the headline: Yea? Well Bush Is Only 39% Happy With You, Too) in its insistence on blaming, to coin a phrase: "Anyone but Bush."

Liberals never got over 2000. That's why Bush can't sell it anymore.
Traitorous conservatives are turning against him cause of Miers. That's why Bush can't sell it anymore.
Bush nobly sacrificed his political capital trying to save Social Security. That's why he can't sell it anymore.

He goes on in this vein for 17 paragraphs, and only mentions once, in passing, the issue that, it seems obvious to me, is most responsible for Bush's failing fortunes: Iraq! However, he does find space for one or two cheap shots at Clinton. That's only to be expected from the right.

Still, as I say, this post did strike me as unusually surly, even for a right-wing blogger, even for Surber, who I've read before. If I had to speculate as to why, I'd say it's because he knows something in his gut:

The storm is gathering.
the NY Daily News will report in tomorrow's edition that a well-placed source within the WH has flipped and has been helping Fitzgerald. And that all eyes are absolutely on Dick Cheney. Haven't see the NYDaily News piece yet. No idea what it says. But I swear, my birthday may be coming a day early this year if it is true.

Update: Here's the story. It's true. =)

No comments: