Thursday, September 21, 2006

Things I've found in books

One of the things that somewhere between amuses and annoys me is when you get a book from the library and find that some thoughtful person has written little notes in it. A commentary, their own reaction to some of the wordage contained within.

So yesterday I'm reading Professors, Politics And Pop by Jon Wiener, a collection of essays by the author of Come Together: John Lennon In His Time. Among them, a review of a then-new book by Jonathan Cott about Bob Dylan.

Wiener writes:
In addition to his other absurdities, Cott repeats the moth-eaten cliche that Dylan is "America's greatest poet," which Ellen Willis dispensed with in 1969. "Poetry requires economy, coherence and discrimination," she wrote. Dylan turns out five images where one will do, his phrases are often tangled, his metaphors are silly and he tries to make everything rhyme. He's a great songwriter but a terrible poet.


Now, my own feelings about Dylan are probably well-known to most of you (if not, they involve me not giving a ratfucking piss). But someone who had this book before me was, apparently, a Dylan fan who was simply not having that and so strove to express themselves and correct the record.

They have underlined the last sentence-"He's a great songwriter but a terrible poet"-and added the words
what ever

That's the economy, coherence and discrimination that I choose to see as typical of the Dylan fan's refined taste and ear for poetry.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I didn't think anyone was still trying to pass off that "Dylan is our greatest poet" line these days - when Willis was tossing back her arguments against Zimmerman-As-Poet, a sizable part of the rock critic community was under the sway of the Poetry of Rock fallacy (as promulgated by Village Voice writer Richard Goldstein, who even edited a collection of sixties era rock lyrics that was heavy on the Dylan). But Nashville Skyline (and any number of crap albums in the 80's) quashed Dylan's "poet" rep rather effectively, I think. (For the record, I love Nashville Skyline.) I still think he's a great songwriter when he chooses to be, tho - as the newest release attests . . .

Ben Varkentine said...

My perception of Dylan is that each time he releases a new album the rock critics fall over themselves saying how they love *this* one.

While admitting at least tacitly that his previous album was an ineffective lump.

I'll be slightly curious to see what they have to say about the newest release when it's no-longer-new.