Sunday, May 20, 2007

Simon LeBon thinks he's Mick Jagger

...in this clip of Duran Duran performing "Notorious" live. This song originally came out a few years before I started liking Duran, but in retrospect I like it a lot, even though (as with most of their records) I have no idea what the words are supposed to mean.

I only know what they mean to me, and to me, the best words, the reasons why this dance song takes me to a pretty dark place, have always been
I heard your promise
But I don't believe it


I don't really trust anyone outside my own head. I mean I know why; I was betrayed at a very early age by someone who everything, inside and out, tells you you are supposed to trust above all others.

And the pattern of my life, at least as it seems to me, is people speaking pretty words to me and then fucking me over and going away.

So I hear your promise.

But I don't believe it.

No comments: