Thursday, October 11, 2007

Seven years in the life

Once again, I'm following in the footsteps of PJ. I don't mind following, though-I choose to believe she's got a figure like Lisa "Cuddy" Edelstein.

For her "Thursday 13" today PJ ran a selection of TV shows about the teenage years, and that got me thinking. I've done a post about high school movies, but never TV shows. So...

(To keep it interesting, at least for me, I decided to limit myself to shows which actually aired while I was a teenager. For better and for worse, these are the shows my generation looked to. God help us.)

Married...With Children



One of the greatest, most underrated sitcoms of the past 15-20 years.



Roseanne

It's ironic, but I really think you can trace the decline of this show by how much power Roseanne had over her character.

In the first years, Roseanne Conner is a strong, funny, loving woman. At the end, she's controlling, grim, and hateful.

But man, the writers and actors on this were so strong...before she destroyed it all.

Happy Days

Happy Days is more interesting for what it tells us about the '70s and '80s (Scott Baio -- what were we thinking?), than about the '50s. Just as That '70s Show will tell future generations more about what passed for entertainment around the turn of the century than the 1970's.

But hey, I watched it, you watched it...

One Day At A Time



All I really remember right now about this series is that bouncy theme song...

Alf

What always used to aggravate me about this series is that the puppet was so much funnier than the family they put around him. That is why he is still working now and most of them are not.

I think I did have an early crush on Andrea Elson, though.



The Cosby Show

Well, let's face it. If you grew up in the '80s, this pretty much defined sitcoms for you. But that doesn't mean I don't agree with the Simpsons satire of the episodes in which one of the grandparents (all of whom were great jazz musicians) played...

Growing Pains

Ok, Kirk Cameron turned out to be a clueless born-again, but this show was actually funny...three or four times...

Gimme a Break!



See One Day at a Time. But, Nell Carter did have a fine voice.



Family Ties

I have darn fond memories of this series, though I think I'd be hard-pressed to tell you why. Guess it's another '80s thing. At least, I don't think it was just because Justine Bateman was so hot...

Charles In Charge




Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone put together a"Charles In Charge curse" theory? Look at the facts.

Scott Baio appeared in a "reality" series that showed him to be an uncommonly boring asshole.
Willie Aames has now found God and appears in a series of videos for children as the scripture-spouting superhero Bibleman.
Nicole Eggert dated Corey Haim.
Josie Davis does fully nude scenes in poorly-reviewed, barely released movies directed by actors who are apparently better at that.
Jennifer Runyon retires to San Clemente.

Tell me somebody on that show didn't desecrate a shrine somewhere along the way.

A Year In The Life



This was a miniseries I loved followed by a regular series I only liked, but I remember both were incredibly well-acted.

Silver Spoons

Okay. This isn't exactly the best show in history...

Parker Lewis Can't Lose



Why do I have the feeling there may have been more to this series than I can remember at the moment? (Besides the fact that a quick Yahoo! search just revealed to me that Milla Jovovich was in the pilot)

Plus these series about which I've got little or nothing to say:



Call to Glory (or, Elisabeth Shue: Who knew?), The Facts of Life, Who's the Boss? (or, Alyssa Milano: Who knew?)



Head Of The Class (or, Robin Givens: Who knew?), My Two Dads, It's Your Move, Kate & Allie (or, Allison Smith...), The Hogan Family, The New Adventures of Beans Baxter...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Married...With Children---a classic

Roseanne---I liked all save the final year

Happy Days---lost it near the end; pleasant escape show

One Day At A Time---the only thing bouncy about the show was Bonnie Franklin’s braless chest; I couldn’t stand “Dwayne Schneider”; couldn’t believe him as a possible love interest for the mom.

Alf---pukey

The Cosby Show---a classic

Growing Pains---same script every show: Cameron acts like a dick, gets caught, reforms, repeat weekly

Family Ties---didn’t really care for it, didn’t offend me enough to change the channel

Charles In Charge---less pukey than Alf

A Year In The Life---I don’t remember this series; I was working afternoon shift at the time; I see the mini series had Diana Muldaur in it; I HATE Diana Muldaur; worst season ever of L.A. Law; worst season ever of Star Trek: The Next Generation

Who’s The Boss?---liked it; I knew that Milano would be a star; I knew Tony Danza couldn’t act

Head Of The Class---liked it enough; I knew Robin Givens was good; thought the red haired actress (Khrystyne Haje?) was sexier than Givens

Alan Coil

Ben Varkentine said...

Actually, I agree about Haje, but Givens went on to be so infamous...and damn, that ass...

ahab said...

I guess you saw that "Married...With Children" is huge in syndication in Russia currently?

Ben Varkentine said...

Actually, I hadn't.

PJ said...

Sure, let's pretend I have her figure.

I loved Married With Children when I was a teen.

Roseanne just irritated me.

Happy Days = The Fonz was so cool.

Alf killed me

The Cosby Show was funnier at the time than in retrospect.

Ben Varkentine said...

I was irritatied by Roseanne too for the first coupld of years, I had to disconnect the real her from the show her.

The first few years of The Cosby Show has held up for me in recent reruns, but around the time they started bringing in other kids I lost interest.