Monday, October 01, 2007

So you want to hear "Mad World" covered by a Canadian blonde girl singer and acoustic guitarist

We here at Dictionopolis in Digitopolis have anticipated your every need.

I always thought Tears For Fears debut single contained one of the most disconcerting lyrics ever to go to #3 (in the UK):



All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had


But I loved them first in spite of; then because of that.

Sometimes it seems like the only sane reaction, other times it's just too damn sad.

I'm not quite sure why, but I dreamed about this song last night, so I went looking for a good clip today on Google Video.

That's where I found this:



The performer, "hulaeve," says she first fell in love with the Donnie Darko version. I know that gets to a lot of people, but it seems to me to engender pretension if not self-indulgence (case in point).

Frankly, Tears For Fears have never needed help being pretentious and self-indulgent.

And that's not a criticism, or if it is it's a loving one.

I think this vocal is kind of fantastic and she plays very well, I really enjoyed it. Hope you did too.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

Nah...I hate everything you like. ;) Seriously, that was amazing, and thanks.