Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A cautionary tale

This is three short (about two minutes altogether) sequences from "Arctic Radar," an episode of The West Wing. It follows a "c"-or-"d"-story in which Josh Lyman lays out a line that I think more than one of us part time SF fans tries to walk...



Unfortunately, the picture fades and then sound cuts out before the last lines of of the last sequence, which are:

JOSH
...you can't bring your hobbies in to work, okay?

JANICE
Got it.

JOSH
Except on Star Trek holidays. [exits]

JANICE
There's no such thing as a Star Trek holiday.

JOSH
Well, work hard around here. We'll make one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. And then there's this quote from the Outpost Gallifrey forums:

"How much more public a tragic-geek-fan could I be? I hate football, the rest of sport, cars, and almost all proper man-stuff. I can list all the Doctor Who stories in order. I've got Picked Last For Games written all over me (they held me down and got a felt tip.) I'm a member of this forum, posting under my own name. I've stood on the bloody Newsnight set, with David Tennant, on television, and humiliated myself with a depth of enthusiasm bordering on Speaking In Tongues. I write stories where tragic geeks get hot women. Over and over again. Till I start crying."

--Steven Moffat (who, for those looking in, is arguably the best writer for the new "Doctor Who," and the show's newly-appointed Executive Producer and head writer)

Ben Varkentine said...

Talk about the Revenge of the Nerds...