Tuesday, September 09, 2008

What the hell kind of a linkline is that?

So I click over to the Yahoo! home page, as I do several times a day, to look something up. As I also do several times a day, I glance down at the little list they have of half-a-dozen or so popular news items. This one catches my eye:

Obama tries to steal Nebraska electoral vote from McCain.


Here's the thing, though: If you click on that linkline, the item to which it leads you says not one word about "stealing." Actually, it's about the fact that Obama hopes to win one electoral vote in Nebraska, which has been going all-Republican since 1964.

Can he do it? Maybe, maybe not. But it's got nothing to do with trying to "steal" anything.

Gee, um, to coin a phrase, What Liberal Media?

ETA: I see that they've updated the linkline to
Obama tries to take Omaha's electoral vote from McCain
(Emphasis mine)

Which is better than "steal," but not by much, because "take" still implies the Omaha electoral vote rightly belongs to McCain. And it doesn't.

No comments: