Thursday, March 12, 2009

Or, "Why I watch MSNBC and not Fox news"

Believe it or not, it's not all that often that I actually yell at the television. But last night if you'd been passing by my apartment door at precisely the right moment, you might've heard me crying "WHAT?" with an almost animal savagery.

See, I was watching Keith Olbermann, though as you can imagine I wasn't yelling at Mr. Olbermann. I find him to be generally a fun, literate anchor that pays attention to the details, although I do wish he would refrain from trying the funny voices. He doesn't do them well.

But anyway, as part of his broadcast last night he replayed clips from wimpy conservative Ari Fleischer's appearance earlier that day on the Chris Matthews show. Fleischer was putting forth the really quite astonishing thought that President Obama--and by extension, the rest of us-should be thanking Bush for keeping us from getting attacked from 2002-2009.

This is really quick thinking, since you don’t want to count the almost 3,000 people who died in the September 11, 2001 attacks. It's not really fair to blame Bush for those, after all.

But that's not even what got me yelling at my TV. No, what did that was Fleischer implying--nakedly--that Saddam Hussein was involved in those attacks. In any way. Whatsoever. He said (via Think Progress):

after September 11th, having been being hit once, how could we take a chance that Saddam Hussein might not strike again?


For the love of god. Here's something which has been discredited for years, and they're still trying to...

Well, you can see why I was forced to give voice to my outrage.

No comments: