Monday, March 02, 2009

Saving Grace

For those of you who may be sick of my continued hyping of series much-enjoyed by me, but performing poorly in the ratings (Like oh, say, I don't know, Terminator) be advised: Saving Grace with Holly Hunter returns to TNT this evening.

Grace actually does have an audience, which while it may not be much by network standards, is sufficient to keep it on TNT. So although I will be talking about it, there won't be that same air of desperate irritation.

(Friday Night Lights was beaten by Supernanny! Supernanny, do you hear me? Supernanny!).

(BTW, personally, I'd love to see Terminator moved to Fox's F/X channel, where the 3.5 million viewers it's getting each week wouldn't be preceded with "only"...but that's another post.)

(And I'll betcha Friday Night Lights would do great on USA...but again I digress)

For part of the first year of Saving Grace, I thought Holly Hunter was single handedly holding my interest in the show. Hunter is always, but always, worth watching, and not just because she's the best actress in America, although she is.

But I've come to be really thankful for the series.

For one thing, I think it shows that it was created by a woman (Nancy Miller), and that's a good thing. Hunter knows it.

"Grace comes from my experience and my imagination, but she's especially from the imagination of Nancy," Hunter says. "It's a very collaborative thing that we've got going on. I can say, "Hey, I'd love to see us explore this.' I may have an image in my mind I'd like to see. But for the most part, the writers and Nancy have these ideas that I am kind of guided by."


"I'm really grateful that this found an audience," she says. "Grace is a full-blown human being. She stumbles, she celebrates, she pursues, and she retreats. She's kind of capable of everything, and I'm happy that audiences have found her."


The hype tends to be about the faith vs. flawed aspect of the show...which is very important. After a first few episodes in which I thought they really overplayed the "angel" card they found a way to be a little more down-to-earth. Yet without sacrificing the spiritual aspects of the series.

What doesn't get a lot of play in the hype but is one of the things that shine through is the writing of female relationships, Grace's friendships with other women.

This especially shows in the writing of Grace's buddy Rhetta, played by Laura San Giacomo. It's a real relationship and friendship, which means they talk about more than boys and shoes. They're the keepers of secrets, and they can hurt and help each other in the ways that only friends can.

Speaking of female relationships, Christina Ricci guest-stars in tonight's episode beginning a recurring turn as Grace's new partner. Ricci has talent, and if I were she, I'd pay very close attention to Hunter while I was working with her.

I just can't imagine a better role model for a young actress.

No comments: