Monday, June 11, 2007

there were sorrows to be healed And mercy, mercy in this world

Jennifer Warnes' most popular records have been a couple of very succesful soundtrack duets, "Up Where We Belong" with Joe Cocker and "(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life" with Bill Medley.

But some of us treasure her collaborations with Leonard Cohen, with whom she has sung both backup and duet, and of whose compositions she recorded an entire album, Famous Blue Raincoat, in 1986.

I discovered the album because I saw Ms. Warnes performing a song from it on a Smothers Brothers TV special. It was one of those moving songs and performances that makes you want to go out and get the album ASAP, which I did.

It's still one of those I most recommend to friends.

As luck would have it, some kind person has shared that very performance with us via YouTube. Unfortunately the sound quality isn't as rich as I would like, but I think (hope?) you can get past that.



I also like what someone called Froyline said in the YouTube comments four days ago:
Jennifer makes Barbara Steisand sound like a muppet.


Yes, yes she does.

No comments: