Monday, May 07, 2007

One of the marks of a great record is that you always remember where you were when you first heard it

...and I was driving up the 101 to San Francisco with my then-girlfriend over 15 years ago when I first heard "Looking For Atlantis," the first single and opening track from Prefab Sprout's album Jordan: The Comeback.

Paddy McAloon quietly earned the comparison to Brian Wilson by sheer virtue of his vocals and songwriting. At the height of his powers, there was no one that could touch his pronouncements on pulp culture, pop and religion.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear to God I was thinking of this song earlier today. I love this album something fierce...

Ben Varkentine said...

It's fine, isn't it? BTW Dave, if you have a minute to spare: That link in the band name is to a review I wrote a few years ago talking about PF's output in relationship with their frequent producer, Thomas Dolby.

I'd love to know what you think.

Anonymous said...

I've been out of town for the weekend and am just catching up now. I'll get to read it later this week.

Ben Varkentine said...

Cool, I look forward to hearing your opinion when you get a chance.