Friday, November 11, 2005

Where you gonna get 'em, John?

Okay, just so you guys know, I've had about four hours of sleep. I couldn't find the new bottle of sleeping pills that I bought just last night (and I may be addicted to sleeping pills, but that's another issue).

My point is that I am in even less of a mood than usual to pretend there is any sanity in the plans of men and women who just will not face the reality of the situation.

In a speech on Thursday that highlighted the growing unease of some Republicans with lack of the progress at defeating the insurgency, Senator John McCain of Arizona said, "There is an undeniable sense that things are slipping in Iraq."

But Mr. McCain warned that proposals for withdrawing forces next year "are exactly wrong" and called for the American military presence to grow by 10,000, to 165,000.

"Instead of drawing down, we should be ramping up, with more civil-military soldiers, translators and counterinsurgency operations teams," he told a packed audience at the American Enterprise Institute, a Washington research institute.

Via The Talent Show



The Defense Department opened its new recruiting year with good news: announcing yesterday that the Army met its goal for October. But officials also said that the Army lowered the October recruiting goal by about a third from last year's.
Via AmericaBlog


This is gonna sound like a bizarre sidebar, but I'm going somewhere. When the indefensible remake of Psycho came out a few years ago, I fantasized about interviewing the "creative" team behind and in front of the camera and asking them only one question:

Why?

And no matter what answer they gave, the next question would always be: Why? No matter what bullshit rationalization money-grubbing excuse they had. Next question: Why?

Now I find myself wanting to say to John McCain (and anybody else who favors sending more troops)...where you gonna get 'em, John? Uh-huh, that's great, but where you gonna get 'em, John? Terrific, but where you gonna get 'em, John?

If you're a lawmaker and you support sending more troops to Iraq, I want to see you front and center on the senate floor calling for the re-instituion of the draft. Otherwise, I want you to shut the fuck up.

Where you gonna get 'em, John?

No comments: