Monday, January 16, 2006

Writers are nuts (for those of you who haven't heard)

I was just re-reading an interview with author Greg Rucka. He's a novelist and comic book writer; I've only ever read his Kodiak series of novels. Actually some I read, some I listened to as books on tape. I liked them a lot. (And, I have just learned going to his website to set up that link, there's a new one due this fall. Hallelujah.)

But anyway, he says (among other things) in this interview, when asked for "Words of wisdom for those about to write their first novel;"
You have to develop the ego that says "My work has merit," the ego that says "Not only does it have merit, but I believe in it."


What's weird is that I have trouble saying my work has merit...but I can easily say that about Keitha and Annabel. I believe these are a truly terrific couple of characters who I just happen to have created.

And I know, logically: To say I think they have merit and that I believe in them (Colley's not too shabby, either) is as close to saying I believe that about my work as makes no odds; they are, after all, my work.

It just doesn't feel right to say it like that.

Writers are nuts. Repeat.

4 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

I second this sentiment. Nearly everyone I've met who purports to "be a writer," is absolutely certifiable.

BTW, thanks for listening yesterday, Ben. I was/am grateful.

Feena said...

I know I'm definitely nuts, but most of the time I also don't think I might be able to write anything worth reading.

I did win a prize when I was 15 but 22 years later I haven't exactly amounted to much.

I need an ego - any ideas where I can pick one up cheap? *lol*

Ben Varkentine said...

(Channeling Craig Ferguson)

Come to LA...

Feena said...

*lol*

Americans have egos? Surely not!