Monday, January 01, 2007

It's no new years resolution, It's more than that



For what it's worth, this is my favorite new years song, and also one of my all-time favorites period. As I've said, I always think of it as "our song" for a girlfriend I had once. Partly because our anniversary fell on on new years, but mostly because of the lines about

No more empty self-possession
Vision swept under the mat
It's no new years resolution
It's more than that

No there's nothing quite as real
As a touch of your sweet hand
I can spend the rest of my life
Buried in the sand.


I think of that time as the last, really, that I thought I might be able to lead a simple life and run from my artistic inclinations.

Aside from that I just love hearing the song with its sweet lushness, so different both from most Split Enz and Crowded House hit singles. All of which I also have high regard for, by the way-everybody knows what really good songwriters Neil Finn & his brother Tim were/are. It's just that to my knowledge this doesn't sound like anything else they ever did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just wanted to tell you... last night I was thinking about the time I threw a party and only one person showed up. I was pretty down that night, and you were kind and you cared. I have never forgotten that. Happy New Year's Ben. May all your dreams come true.

Ben Varkentine said...

Thanks, sweetie. I remember that night too.

Anonymous said...

"It's hip to be detached and precious
The only thing you feel is vicious"

Yeah, lived that one, too. Happy New Year, Ben.