Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Re-drawing the map

Or, "It's not all naked, sexy women you know, or at least there are reasons why it sometimes seems that way."

At the clinic today, to see about taking medication, I was asked to fill out (among other things) a Patient Health Questionnaire. Just for "fun" I thought I'd post the questions...and my answers.


Have you been bothered by any of the symptoms listed below during the past two weeks? If you have, put a check in the box that best describes how often you have had that symptom.


[Boxes avalible: Not at all, Several Days, More Than Half The Days and Nearly Every Day.]

1. Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless?
I said: More Than Half The Days

2. Little interest or pleasure in doing things?
I said: Several Days.

3. Trouble falling or staying asleep, or sleeping too much?
I said: Several Days.

4. Feeling tired or having too little energy?
I said: Nearly Every Day.

5. Poor appetite or overeating?
I said: More Than Half The Days.

6. Feeling bad about yourself--or that you are a failure or have let yourself or your family down?
I said: Nearly Every Day.

7. Trouble concentrating on things, such as reading the newspaper or watching television?
I said: Not At All.

8. Moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed. Or the opposite--being so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual?
I said: Not At All.

9. Thoughts that you would be better off dead or hurting yourself in some way?
I said: Several Days.**

11. If you are experiencing any of the problems on this form, how difficult have these problems made it for you to do your work, take care of things at home or get along with other people?

[Choices: Not difficult at all, Somewhat difficult, Very difficult and Extremely difficult] I said: Somewhat difficult, but I may have been lowballing.

**About this one: You don't have to be too scared that it's something I would really do (Jen, put the phone down!). But I'd be lying if I said I never think about it. That's one of the reasons I'm in therapy and sought medication.

I've been prescribed a generic form of Prozac but have not yet had it filled. I suspect when I do this blog will turn, at least in part, into a kind of a "Prozac diary." I may have caved on the sex and drugs, but I refuse to fill it with rock and roll...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whether online or not, you SHOULD keep a daily log of you reactions and feelings while taking the meds. That way, after a couple weeks or months, you could look back and review what has been happening. I would suppose that there are a few people who do not get any benefit from Prozac. If you might be one of these, a daily log could show that and you could get a different med.

Alan Coil

Anonymous said...

That's good advice there from Alan, and I would also like to add that there are several antidepressants (including Prozac) that can exacerbate suicidal thoughts. Make sure to tell the doctor if that happens, sometimes pharmacists forget to mention it as a possible side effect. Good luck, and call if you ever need to.
A'mee