Monday, October 08, 2007

I really like Sara Gilbert.

Had a look at The Big Bang Theory tonight because I'd read she was going to guest, reuniting with her former Roseanne co-star
Johnny Galecki.

She's supposedly recurring, which is a good move, since their one (1) scene was a lesson in what real chemistry looks like.

Made me wish rather than what happened in the last season of Roseanne, they'd just spun Darlene & David off into their own series (a kind of Generation X Mad About You).

The difference with the rest of the (pretty sitcom-stale) show was almost like night and day.

As a rule I find it difficult to care about dumb characters, perhaps especially dumb-girl characters, and that appears to be what Kaley Cuoco is playing here.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not enough for dumb girls on TV to be hot (and to my taste, Cuoco's only tepid). You must also be funny.

I didn't care about the geeky guys either, but at least they made me laugh, albeit infrequently. I got the idea I was more supposed to respect them for actually making jokes about Asimov's rules of robotics, regardless of whether the jokes are actually funny.

The problem with writing characters who are supposed to be smart, at least in sitcoms, is that you want to be able to get them into sitcom situations. So that laugher will ensue. But you don't want them to act like idiots, because they're supposed to be smart.

Fraiser had eight or nine years before it really started going downhill that way. Bang seems to be starting at that lower level.

It didn't hurt too badly, but I doubt I'll be tuning in again unless they dump a third of the cast and offer Gilbert anything she wants to come on board permanent.

No comments: