Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oh, this makes me sad...and then happy

This afternoon I got one of those emails that I frequently get from music PR folks. I'm still on a lot of mailing lists from when I used to write more reviews than I do these days.

I always glance at them to see if there's anything that makes me want to "come out of retirement," but there rarely is. Today, however, was a bit of hype regarding a new duo calling themselves The Secret History.


The Secret History was formed in 2007 by songwriter Michael Grace Jr., best known for acclaimed cult indie pop band My Favorite.

The Secret History also features vocalist Lisa Ronson, daughter of Bowie guitarist, and glam-rock legend Mick Ronson.


What makes me sad is that this is how I'm finding out that My Favorite has indeed broken up. I like My Favorite. They're on my "If my Colley/Keitha/Annabel movie got made, music I wish I could use on the soundtrack" list (specifically, a song called "listening to The Black Cassette"). More about that in a minute.

Now that I think of it, they inspired part of the writing, too.

I've written about them a few times (more about that in two minutes).

So My Favorite being no more makes me sad. On the other hand, the thought of songwriter Grace collaborating with the daughter of Ronson, who helped inventor of rock and roll David Bowie do so, is at least intriguing.

So then I scroll down and I see that the lead track of their debut EP is called...“It’s Not The End of The World, Jonah.” For those of you who don't know or have forgotten...my character Colley's first name is Jonah.

I love shit like this. Here's their MySpace page if you want to hear that song and a couple others (you should).

If you scroll down that page still further, there we have quotes from the press about Grace's previous music, and we find this little pop-out paragraph:

This is music that matters to me. The songs have become requirements; Grace's obsessions suddenly seem to have become mine. The alien, the girl or boy "differing in nature or character typically to the point of incompatibility," to quote Webster's. This band reflects an amalgamation, of sounds and styles while all the while retaining an awareness of the awkwardness of youth. Each single track is better than most bands' entire album


The thing of it is...(as if you're not already way ahead of me)...I wrote that. Well, to be honest, I wrote over half of it. See, what they've done is to combine a section of my review of My Favorite's album, The Happiest Days of Our Lives, with Terry Eagan's review of an earlier EP. We were both reviewing for Ink 19.

Everything up through-

The alien, the girl or boy “differing in nature or character typically to the point of incompatibility,” to quote Webster’s.


-is mine.

I know it shouldn't make me happy that my words are found worthy of exploiting for promotion...but it does. If you will allow and forgive me just one moment of self-pity...maybe because it means it has value for someone.

No comments: