Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It hasn't been on long enough for me to attach to it the way I did to, say, Life.

But The Unusuals is my latest proof that the best shows don't do well in the ratings. ABC aired a special Tuesday episode last night (as opposed to the usual Wednesday timeslot). It was in place of the recently revived Cupid, which I've given up on, along with most viewers and (I imagine) soon enough, ABC. Something I only discovered in the last 5-10 minutes.

Fortunately, here in the 21st century, television network shows have websites and those websites have full episode players so you can catch up, which I have. First of all, let me say that having tried Fox and NBC's players, ABC's is by far the best. The reason I say it's the best is because it let me watch the episode without having to wait through a long connection process like the others do.

Also I liked this third episode more than last week's second, it was funny and surprising.

The show's probably never going to dominate the ratings like Law & Order: CSI (those are the same shows, right?) but from my selfish POV, that's a good thing. On the few occasions when I've tried that show (seriously: It is the same show...?) I've found it boring and dull and oppressive; a sterile wasteland.

The Unusuals probably won't prompt much more from me than a "tsk-tsk, that's a shame," if and when it gets cancelled, which seems to be the road it's on.

But it's a good show. I like it.

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I constantly am haunted by the reality that great shows die a premature death and the real crap stays on for years and years dumbing down the culture while making us all accept the lowest common denominator. This show is quirky and fun with fully realized character and room for both pathos and weirdness. So it WILL die. We just have to accept it.

Ben Varkentine said...

"This show is quirky and fun with fully realized character and room for both pathos and weirdness."

Much like myself...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

sounds like somebody just made the 'quote of the week'