Thursday, August 06, 2009

Teenage Angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old

Aw, damn.

John Hughes, Bard of Teen Angst, Dead at 59


Hughes, the popular, almost-mythical filmmaker who made teen angst hurt so good in biting comedies such as Sixteen Candles, only to leave Generation Xers largely on their own as the Molly Ringwald-ruled 1980s ended, died after suffering a sudden heart attack during a walk this morning in Manhattan. He was 59.


A little over 10 years ago, back in the Usenet days (remember, Corey?), I wrote a post of what I called "the movies that Got It Right-movies that send me back to what High School life was really like, at least for me."

I thought it was one of the better online things I've written, so I've reprinted and/or updated it once or twice in my blogs. I'll be doing so again in a few hours when I have more time since, as I also said,
"John Hughes made the best High School movies of the 80’s (and therefore, of all time)."
You know he was all over it.

2 comments:

thevexingvixen said...

You like House and Nirvana. You get awesome style points for that.

Ben Varkentine said...

Why, thank you!