Monday, August 10, 2009

Two rememberances of John Hughes

First, a writer named Beth Armogida came up with a list of lessons learned from John Hughes movies.

To which I'll add:

John Candy is a fine role model. -- I haven't even seen Uncle Buck, but I'll add that, because I am a bachelor/slob uncle.

A single parent raising kids is possible, but probably not a good idea. --Mr. Mom

Ed O'Neill is going to have trouble overcoming audience identification of him as Al Bundy --Dutch

German girls love to whip out their breasts. --European Vacation

Actually, there is a limit to how much cute will let you get away with. --Curly Sue

In his 70s, Walter Matthau would do anything for a paycheck. --Dennis the Menace

Say, you know who might be good in a romantic comedy? Jennifer Lopez. Brilliant! Where do you come up with these things, I tell ya... --Maid in Manhattan

If you think on it, you'll realize you really don't want to go to your --Class Reunion

Macaulay Culkin is not as easily replaced as many of us thought. --Home Alone 3

A great, big, slobbering St. Bernard dog may be lovable at first, but eventually it starts leaving a lot of waste in its wake. --Beethoven's 3rd , 4th, 5th.

And...

Then again, so do characters originally played by Macaulay Culkin. --Home Alone 4

Second: Ok Alec, I'll give ya this one.

You may recall that I have been, in the past, somewhat skeptical of Alec Baldwin when he puts fingers to keyboard. In fact, he and Richard "I'm speaking for the whole world" Gere are two poster children for my well-known "actors shouldn't talk" policy.

Be that as it may, he actually says some very nice things about Hughes, with whom he worked on She's Having A Baby, in this piece.

No comments: