Wednesday, March 31, 2010

All the better to creep you with, my dear...

HuffPo has an entry on what they're calling The Creepiest Children's Books Ever.

There are indeed many unfortunate titles there, but they missed two or three.

Almost 20 years ago when I was working in a bookstore, some things came in that I have always remembered for how strange it seemed that they were intended for children.

One was this edition of Little Red Riding Hood: Photobucket

It ends with a full-page (possibly double-page), full color illustration of Little Red with the Wolf's jaws clamped around her face. Yes, with blood, IIRC.

Then there was a book which was supposed to teach kids about the order and names of our presidents (at that time, through Bush 1), via this poem (scroll down to 35).

Finally, one of the titles they do mention had a sequel with an even more unfortunate title. The follow-up to this book:

Was called--honest to god, I saw it once at the Wilbur Jr High library--Bigger & Better Boners.

2 comments:

Green Stone said...

You need to scan the Red Riding Hood picture. It sounds so horrid I must see it!

Ben Varkentine said...

Believe me, if had either a copy of the book or a scanner I would have.

Actually, if I just had a copy of the book I'd go use a relative's scanner...

But I don't.

Sorry.