Friday, July 08, 2005

Oh, man

The writer Evan Hunter, also known as Ed McBain, has died. He was best known for his "87th Precinct" series of novels which I discovered several years ago when I was working at a used bookstore and quickly devoured as many as I could-I'm like that.

My favorites were "Lightning" and most of the books featuring Hunter/McBain's recurring villian, The Deaf Man. "Lightning" is about a multiple rapist who keeps raping the same women. The motivation that's eventually revealed when he's caught, and the precinct's reaction to same, is masterfully done.

And "Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man" has possibly my favorite passage from any of the novels:

"The discovery was frightening. Give me the smart ones anytime, Carella
thought. I'll take a thousand like the Deaf Man if you'll only keep the
stupid ones away from me."


It's still kinda hard to argue with. So, Mr. McBain/Mr. Hunter, hoardes of angels speed thee to thy rest and all that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't know this. What a loss. Damn.