Monday, August 15, 2005

Lucky Fin

Since Peter Jennings died from complications of lung cancer, and it was revealed that Dana Reeve, widow of Christopher, has it, there's been a bit of wishful thinking in the press. The hope is that this will inspire people, perhaps especially young people, to stop smoking.

I see a handful of reports that says more smokers are looking to quit and calling the ALA and I hope it's true. But color me skeptical, I don't think addiction works that way.

I don't want to nag my one or two friends who do smoke--they know I wish they wouldn't, and I know they'd like to quit. Besides, I'm sure there are one or two things they wish I wouldn't do that are bad for my health. And I don't think the death of a reporter or "Superman's widow" being sick is going to help us make those choices.

But if anything could, I wish that this would: Dan Lee, a character designer at Pixar studios, is dead.
He designed Nemo in Finding Nemo and Boo in Monsters, Inc. It was lung cancer. He was 35.

No comments: