Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stupid short-memoried public

Little Steven Van Zandt of the E Street Band made a cameo appearance on The Colbert Report last night. Appearing, in true Daily Show style "from" South Africa. Where, he announced, he had been playing the Sun City resort.

Judging from the audiences (lack of) reaction, no one remembered that in the '80s Van Zandt was the driving force behind the anti-Apartheid Sun City single with its chant "I ain't gonna play Sun City."

I suppose I just remember because the album put together around it remains one of the rare examples of a "charity" record that can still be listened to for pleasure. Rather than a sense of resigned duty.

But still: Stupid, short-memoried public.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the U2 song from it actually rocks...

Anonymous said...

In my case, I plead ignorance. I was two years old in 1986. And though there are few bigger Springsteen fans than I, even I did not know about Little Steven's particular foray into Geldof territory.

I think that the Colbert demographic -- especially the ones who can afford the time to attend a taping at 6:00pm on a weekday -- skews toward the under 30 set, who would have been too young to have many distinct memories of 1986.

Ben Varkentine said...

IIRC, James, it's not actually a U2 song-it's Bono backed by Keith Richards, one of the other Stones, and Steve Jordan (on cardboard box-percussion!)

Rob, if you can find the album somewhere, pick it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed-besides Little Steven, Springsteen and Clarence Clemons also make appearances on the main track.