Friday, February 17, 2006

I stopped an old man along the way; hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies

I'm taking a tip here from ReddHedd. She was seeking an antidote to the pessimism the week's events have engendered. (The Bush administration is so powerful they can actually shoot someone on a drunken bender and get away with it).

Redd says:
I know it is thoroughly nerdy, but in times like these, I pick up material from our nation's history and remind myself about what true obstacles really are -- and how much courage and conviction it took to overcome them at our nation's founding and throughout our history.


Here's what she found.
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.

From Thomas Paine. If you don't know who that is..Billy Bragg went out drinking with him once.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

I know who Thomas Paine was. I paid attention in Modern Western History class. It's only Common Sense, how else could I pass?