Friday, February 17, 2006

I'll believe it when I see it

As I think most of you know, the wonderful Kirsty MacColl, my favorite female singer, was killed in a powerboat accident while swimming in Mexico in the year 2000. Since then Kirsty's fans, family and friends have had reason to understand why there are so many jokes about the Mexican justice system. For the past two or three years her mother Jean has been waging a Justice For Kirsty campaign.
You see, Kirsty was torn in half in front of her children and the man who did it was fined the equivilent of $110.

Well, we're closing in on the bastard with some high-profile help in shining a spotlight on the case:



At a recent U2 concert in Mexico, Bono, a longtime friend of Kirsty's (he once tried to pick her up in a Dublin pub), dedicated a song to her.

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

The next night the Mexican Government issued a statement promising "justice." Like I say, I'll believe it when I see it, but I figure it always helps to have Bono on your side.

No comments: