Sunday, March 12, 2006

...Bruce Lee, V For Vendetta & Into The Groove(y)

The New York Times has an article about Alan Moore. For any of you who don't know, Moore is the comics writer whose works include "Watchmen," one of the most acclaimed comic books of the past 20 years if not of all time, as well as the books upon which the movies "V For Vendetta", "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," and "From Hell" were based.

He was not best pleased by the adaptations of his work, and has taken a marvelously overreactive position:


With inventions like these, and a body of writing that spans nearly three decades, Mr. Moore, a 52-year-old native of Northampton, England, distinguished himself as a darkly philosophical voice in the medium of comic books — a rare talent whose work can sell solely on the strength of his name. But if Mr. Moore had his way today, his name would no longer appear on almost any of the graphic novels with which he is most closely associated. "I don't want anything more to do with these works," he said in a recent telephone interview, "because they were stolen from me — knowingly stolen from me."



Mr. Moore recognizes that his senses of justice and proportion may seem overdeveloped. "It is important to me that I should be able to do whatever I want," he said. "I was kind of a selfish child, who always wanted things his way, and I've kind of taken that over into my relationship with the world."


He was also immortalized in Pop Will Eat Itself's catalogue of cool, Can U Dig It? referenced in the headline above. And as someone who spends much too much time thinking about what's going to happen to my work once it's "outside my protection," let me just say...

Alan Moore knows the score.

1 comment:

Ben Varkentine said...

Tell me, do you ever follow the links that I post or read the articles to which they link?

Of course not-because if you'd read this one, you'd know he's TURNED DOWN royalty checks that are duly his, in favor of them going to his artistic collaborators.

You'd also know that in the case of at least one "them" (DC), he feels they didn't make him a square deal. I can see both sides, but I believe his is consistent with his integrity.

Informed opinions; they're so much better than uninformed ones, I find...