Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Muppets are dead to me

There's a song called It's Not Easy Being Green. Undoubtedly you know it; one of the Muppets most well-known songs, its status as something of a minor modern classic is testified to by the fact that both Ray Charles and Frank-freaking-Sinatra saw fit to record it.

And it is, of course, as goes without saying, not about being "green" at all, but about being different. Or feeling that you are. It's meant a lot to a lot of people over the years for just that reason.

And now it's the theme song to a commercial for some sort of off-road all-terrain vehicle.

The Muppets are dead to me. You know, Jim Henson certainly wasn't above commercial work; he knew the value of a dollar. But IIRC he seemed to make them without shitting in the faces of multiple generations.

By taking something that was made to tell kids it's all right to be different and using it to sell adults enviromentally irresponsible gas-guzzlers. A curse on every single member of the current Muppet brain trust who approved and/or worked on this.

And not the kind of curse that can be cured by baking the hall in the candle of her brain, either.

4 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Sonovabitch! Those BASTARDS. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MARKETING PEOPLE ARE SCUM. They're scum because they think of ways to make us desire a product, and then covertly insult us at the same time.

Oh, BTW, Disney has their pockets in the Jim Henson brain trust, and we all know what cash whores they are. Sorry for the swearing, but man, that pisses me off.

Bill said...

I'm with ya 100% on this 'un. But, then, I lost much of my faith in the Muppets once Miss Piggy started slimming down to become more "acceptably" fat . . .

Julia said...

I thought that ad was for the Escape Hybrid? Which is supposed to be able to run purely on electric energy?

I thought that was the point of the commercial. Am I wrong?

Ben Varkentine said...

Fair enough-I admit I clicked away in disgust before the end of the commercial, the instant I saw the vehicle.

That doesn't make me like it any better.