Friday, June 23, 2006

Which one of these clowns is not like the other?

Premiere Magazine has published a photo feature spotlighting 11 men and women they feel are "Masters of Comedy." Let's take a look at this list and see where we feel they may have gone wrong...

Robin Williams. Well, sure-even though we all know he needs a better shit detector when it comes to picking scripts. And I say that as someone who can find a good word to say about Club Paradise.

Diane Keaton. Can't say as she's ever made me laugh, but then...(see Woody Allen)

Bill Murray. Now we're talking. The funniest man in America, 1979-1994.

Woody Allen. As I've said many times before, though I shy away from any bold proclamations like "Woody Allen isn't funny," because so many people seem to think that he is so very funny...I've just never been an admirer of his. And his thing about casting younger and younger women as his love interests just creeps me out. Although oddly, I tend to appreciate his films much better when he isn't actually in them.

Come to think of it, why isn't Mel Brooks on this list?

Will Ferrell. Again-not for me, but if you kids like that sort of thing, you enjoy it...

It's possible I may never forgive Ferrell for starring in a movie called The Suburbans, in which joining A Flock of Seagulls is seen as a happy ending. That's the sort of thing I can't possibly support. Also, doesn't it seem just a tad early to be putting him in such august company?

Steve Martin. No worries.

Here's where it gets weird, though: Cameron Diaz. Um...even granting her movies like My Best Friend's Wedding or Charlie's Angels...I don't think so. No, what this smacks of is them suddenly realizing they only had one woman on the list so far. Imagine what they would have done if they'd realized there were no black people. I can't think of any great black comedians, can you?

Kevin Kline. Back on solid ground here. Although, you'd think that if both he and Steve Martin are such masters of comedy, the Pink Panther remake might have been better received.

Jack Black. See Will Ferrell.

John Cleese. Well, obviously.

And...Leslie Nielsen. Um, Premiere? 1980 called. It wants its Master of Comedy back.

No comments: