Sunday, August 20, 2006

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors-Robert Frost

JOSH
Is that what Frost meant?

DONNA
No, he meant that boundries are what alienate us from each other.

Aaron Sorkin & Eli Attie, The West Wing, "Red Mass"

I've had two dreams in three days that center around failed communications. The frustration of talking to someone on the phone when you can't quite make them hear you. And then the fearful alarm of seeing the words that you're trying to send to someone turn into soup before your eyes.

There is, believe it or not, one truly great scene in Spring Break, a movie that is otherwise a below-average '80s teen sex "comedy." It's a moment where one of our erstwhile "heroes" has met a girl he likes and who seems to like him, and they repair to her hotel room.

Thirsty, or perhaps anticipating that they are about to work up a thirst, she requests a soda, which he gentlemanly goes to get from the machine down the hall...before realizing that not only can't he remember the room number, he doesn't know her name!

Nightmarish, at least for me, and I'm being quite literal when I say that. Because I do have recurring dreams where I seem to have found someone (at last) and then, usually not long before I wake up, something happens to separate us. I've had them since I was a kid.

Anyway. This is one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands.



It's obvious to me why I was thinking about it this morning when I woke up. Whether or not it's obvious to you I leave up to you.

No comments: