Friday, August 04, 2006

Recommended reading (if you can take it)

If you haven't had enough of people expressing their opinion on the Mel Gibson thing (and if you have, I completely understand), in Scanners, Jim Emerson has a couple. In the first, he quotes the most complete report I've seen yet on what Mr. Gibson said to the arresting officers, including this interesting little gem, given what we know about how often homophobic=latent:

The actor also berated the deputy, threatening, "You motherf----r. I'm going to f--- you," according to Mee's report.


In the second, Emerson offers this conclusion:
Last week, in my hometown Seattle, a man who was estranged from his Muslim family, who had left the Islamic faith and been baptised as a Christian, walked into the downtown of the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle and shot five women, including one who is pregnant. One person died, another is on life-support. The killer said he was upset about the fighting in the Middle East. So, with these events hitting so close to home, maybe I'm a little less tolerant of Gibson's brand of intolerance just now. As I said before, quoting "Under the Volcano": "There are some things you just can't apologize for."

Like I said: Recommended reading if you can take it.

No comments: