Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bruce Springsteen knows the score.

"In the 50s there was this whole generation of young men trying to sing like beautiful women. That was very smart, ’cause they’d sing way up here, kind of like (sings falsetto melody). I always thought that was crafty because what their seduction was, ‘I’m gonna come up, and I’m gonna speak in your voice to you, beautiful lady. I’m gonna be talkin’ in your language. I’m comin’ up where you live, and I’m a sensitive, understanding man. And will you pull your pants down?’

That is the subtext of all rock n’ roll music. I believe actually it was the subtext of all classical music, also. It is the great motivator for people to write music. You can tell because it works well at the end of any rock song, like ‘It’s a town full of losers and we’re pullin’ out of here to win…and will you pull your pants down?’ or ‘Tramps like us, baby we were born to run…so will you pull your pants down?’ And it also works in the most kind of hardcore protest music that seems to be aimin’ for something higher, like, ‘It’s a hard rain’s-a gonna fall…so you might as well pull your pants down!’”

Bruce Springsteen, Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ 11-13-05.

-Via Wings For Wheels

3 comments:

Bill said...

I love this quote because I've been working on a blog piece about the recent reissue of a batch of 4 Seasons discs - and it really speaks to that particular Jersey pop music . . .

Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/springsteenvedder08 - Write him in in '08!

Ben Varkentine said...

I might go along with a draft-Springsteen-in-'08 ticket. However, I cannot in good conscience support Eddie Vedder as his running mate.