Sunday, February 11, 2007

Okay, let's hit it (Grammys post-show)

More-or-less off the top of my head:

The Police reunion: Well, the TV director who deprived those of us at home from being able to see their faces as they re-took the stage is an idiot. But man, did I have a smile on my face at the beginning and ending.

But whose fucking idea was it to run a fucking three-song medly by the Eagles (and not even done by them) when Stewart, Andy and Sting only got one? To say nothing of giving Justin Timberlake two songs. N

Nothing (much) against the Eagles, but...oh, and BTW, is it me, ot does the lead singer of Rascal Flatts sound just like Kenny Loggins (who I have even less against, but again...)?

Best line of the night: Just when I think the Dixie Chicks in general, and Natalie Maines in particular, can't get any closer to perfect, they win the best country album of the year, and she says, "Well, to quote the great Simpsons: Heh-Heh." ( a la Nelson Muntz).

Runner up: Ludacris thanking Bill O'Reilly. Heh heh heh.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers seemed kind of tepid to me, but as we know, I don't like (or belive in) rock music much.

I was especially impressed with John Legend, less so but still with Corinne Bailey Rae, and John Mayer remained...John Mayer.

But whoever had the idea of tributing James Brown with Christina Aguilera doing "It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World" is some kind of genius and so was the performance. At the risk of sounding like a prude, I'm glad Aguilera has worked through whatever she was working through during the Dirty period. And is back to reminding people what a motherfucker of a voice she has.

She did look great, too, though.

Speaking of Grammy fashion, Scarlett Johansson, I'm told, wore "a navy-and-black cocktail dress with a fitted corset by Monique Lhuillier" and her tits.
Good news: Nelly "symbol of everything that is wrong with women today" Furtado didn't win anything.

Bad news: Gnarls Barkley decided to make some kind of "statement" or sumthin' by performing "Crazy" with a weird martial beat at half-speed.

Very clever, boys. I'll try to forget that the next time the good version comes on the radio.

Which should be any minute now. Whenever you're reading this, it should be any minute now.

And finally, Carrie Underwood showed me that by having missed her music, I'm not missing much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben-- gotta say, I LOVE the Corrine Bailley Raye album, don't know if you've heard it all the way through or not. I actually was bouncing on the couch cheering when the Dixie Chicks won, and just about fell on the floor with their little "HAH-hah!!" Fantastic stuff... Still not sure why I don't have that album yet, I may have to remedy that today. I agree with you about the Police, and Gavin was sulking the rest of the show because they were done. As far as Grammy shows go though, my expectation are pretty low, they usually suck, and this one was pretty good...