Monday, October 22, 2007

And Gina Phillips thought her characters were cursed



In 2001, Phillips and Justin Long appeared together in the film Jeepers Creepers. Half a decade later, Long is well known from those "I'm a Mac" ads; starred in Dodge Ball & Live Free Or Die Hard.

He is also said to be dating Drew Barrymore.

Half a decade later, last night I saw Phillips in a straight-to-cable "suspense" movie called Ring Around the Rosie. It's your basic young-woman-inherits-old-house-which-has-secrets movie. I admit, I fast-forwarded through much of it (I'd selected it from On Demand because I enjoyed Phillips' work in Jeepers).

But I think it would have been confusing even if I hadn't. Confusing, sloppy films are usually the work of four or five different credited writers (I couldn't believe it either).

But somewhere before it was over I really started to think: If ever there was proof that there aren't enough good roles for women (or if anyone really needed any), the post Jeepers careers of Long and Phillips is it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks she looks like a young Laura San Giacomo?

Ben Varkentine said...

I hadn't thought of that till you said it, but I can see it. I also think she looks like an Italian Anne Hathaway, so it's small wonder that I like them both...