Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life is too good to lose

But the way the ratings are going, it looks like I'm going to. So I'm willing to try to appeal to your prurient interests. I mean, what I like about the show is its genuinely offbeat (as opposed to Pushing Daisies, which gives whimsy a bad name) feel and individual character. As well as a lead performance by Damien Lewis which I'm slowly starting to suspect is some kind of great.

But perhaps I've been remiss in not telling you that the casting director really has an eye for lovely women who don't seem quite as "Hollywood" as many that we see on TV (I'm thinking of two or three Desperate Housewives).

Lewis' co-star, of course, is Sarah Shahi, who as I believe I've mentioned is very good-looking. She's also doing really rich work on the show.

An episode or so back the beautiful Meredith "Natty Gann" Salenger popped out of the "where are they now" file and into a supporting role.

BTW, Salenger's IMDb page tells me that she graduated cum laude from Harvard University in 1992 with a degree in Psychology, something they list as "trivia."

I'd say that sounds a little something more than trivial, wouldn't you? To quote the best joke from this week's The Big Bang Theory, come for the breasts, stay for the brains...

Getting back to the ladies of Life, last night's ep featured a guest-star turn by Jessica Paré,

who is a sexy Canadian (two words we don't often see together) actress.

As well as a small role played by an insanely sexy woman with the great name of Jennifer Lee Wiggins (who has a B.S. In Criminal Justice Administration, would you believe). Are you beginning to get an idea of what you're missing?

I'm not proud of the above, but damn it, if shows I like go off the air it's not gonna be because I didn't do everything sane in my power to hold onto them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In addition, for Whedonverse fans, Christina Hendricks (Saffron from Firefly) is making recurring appearances as Charlie's future Mother-in-law.
I like what the costume designer in the "Official Firefly Companion" said about her - "Most actresses in Hollywood look like 12-year-old boys. It's nice to fit clothes on a woman with some curves." Amen.

Ben Varkentine said...

I assume you mean his future stepmother. I couldn't figure out what you were talking about for a minute.

I don't remember Hendricks from Firefly, but I do like the look of her, and...waitaminute.

Wikipedia says she was born in Tennessee. KNOXVILLE, Tennessee. Granted, it also says she moved to Twin Falls Idaho at the age of four.

Still...that was close.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Stepmother. Ur.
She's also in Mad Men, the new AMC original show, but I haven't watched that.

Ben Varkentine said...

Mad Men for me is one of those shows that even though I can tell it's well acted and made, just fails to connect with me.

Or maybe it's me failing to connect with it. Either way...