Sunday, January 13, 2008

Love the Terminator, apathetic about the Chronicles

The best thing Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has going for it is the decision to forget the plot of the third film. That movie was not just like watching a car wreck, it was like watching a Pinto get into a car wreck. So when I read of this decision beforehand, I decided to give the show a try. Maybe there was hope.

Was I right? Well, maybe a little yes, a little no. First problem as I see it is that I was most satisfied with Summer Glau (below, left) as the new "protector/terminator" I think because hers is the only character so far who's showing me anything new.

Glau actually manages to do some subtle work filling a part not normally known for its subtlety. I kinda wish that instead of putting the weight of the series on Lena Headey (right), as Sarah, and Thomas Dekker (center), as John, who are playing characters we've seen and loved before, they'd build more of the show around her/it.

But Headey and Dekker are good, especially Headey, and I'm not prepared, after only one episode, to say that they can't make us love their portrayals too.

BTW, Glau's character is cover-named "Cameron," as an in-joke; in a more subtle one, the FBI agent chasing the Connors is named "Ellison."

This series has a fight on their hands, but the least I can say for it is that it just might-might! be a fair one.

PS: Turns out Glau is from Texas. What is it with ladies and the water there? Kelly Clarkson, Molly Ivins, Amanda Marcotte, The Dixie Chicks, Linda Ellerbee, Summer Glau...

No comments: