Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ok, this is going to be my last post (I hope) on the whole "Obama/elitist" thing.

For two reasons. One is that I believe what Michelle Obama says:


Michelle Obama says her husband is no elitist, and he's got the personal history to prove it.

Democratic candidate Barack Obama's mother was "an 18-year-old single white woman raising a black child in the 60s," who sometimes relied on food stamps to feed her family, his wife told a crowd here this afternoon.


And second, I've now seen more than a handful of polls and other news items that say the "bitter" comment has had little or no effect on the Pennsylvania race.

Yet of course to hear the news tell it, you'd think it was "rocking" his campaign. As one or two of you may remember, a similar disconnect is one of the things that made me craziest about the Clinton/ Lewinsky scandal.

Poll after poll after poll after poll kept saying the American people didn't care. Or they did, but only inasmuch as they thought it was a dumb, woefully lacking in self-control thing for him to have done--but not impeachable.

But you turned on the TV, and it was a feeding frenzy.

So: First and foremost, obviously, this blog can only be a reflection of things I care about. I'd also like to think it reflects some understanding of what most Americans care about.

And as someone whose mother used food stamps when I was growing up, I really don't care when anyone on MSNBC says how I should feel about the word "bitter."

That is all.

No comments: