Thursday, June 05, 2008

Show 'em how it's done, boys!

This picture (below) of Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean and Barack Obama makes me smile. It--and what it represents--makes me think: we might actually win this thing, and (this time) it might actually make a difference.

For all the painting of Obama as a pretty-boy who some have chosen to turn into a Christ figure.

For all the wishful thinking of people like Pajamas Media CEO Roger L. Simon--who just over a month ago thought Obama's campaign was "cratering."

For all Hillary Clinton's selfishness (my current favorite: Her issuing a statement that the Vice Presidency is Obama's choice. How generous of her.)

For all the echoing "Dean scream.”

For all the clowns who thought the rest of us care more than we do about what church Obama attends.

For all the questioning of Obama's patriotism.

For all that, ladies and gentlemen, these are The New Democrats. Amazing.

They keep getting smarter, and the Republicans keep getting stupider. For all that I'm frustrated with the (old) Democrats for not speedily impeaching Bush, I'm also convinced that if the Republicans had moved to clean house (and maybe brought Bush & Cheney up on war crimes), they might still win.

But they were too stupid to do that when they had a chance. And now, looking at Bush and McCain is like trying to tell Pepé Le Pew from the black cat with the white stripe down her back.

(I'm not even sure which is Bush and which is McCain in that metaphor...which is kind of the point.)

If I were inclined towards corny metaphors, I might say that it gives me an umbrella of hope.

Fortunately for all concerned, I am not so inclined.

No comments: