Friday, February 12, 2010

Actually I find it kind of exciting, as words go

Finally, something on which I completely disagree with Rachel Maddow. For the most part, I love her wonderful sanity and the way she slams people who deserve to be slammed.

But tonight, she devoted the first segment of her show to presenting a case, somewhat in fun but with a serious undercurrent: That the reason this country can't get a grip on the changes that need to be made to the filibuster form of obstruction is because the word "filibuster" is

"the most boring word in the English language."


I respectfully disagree. Not about the need to reform the obstruction, I've been convinced that abuses have made that imperative. But about the word. And it's not just because it reminds me of a great West Wing episode, "The Stackhouse Filibuster."

Break down the word: Filibuster.

Filly-Buster.

Filly: A young (under the age of four) female horse.

Informal usage: "A lively, high-spirited girl or young woman."

Buster: "Originally a nickname ...from the word bust."

Secondary: A good name for a pet dog, or a cartoon rabbit, or a 1920s comedian, or a happy nightclub singer, or a comic strip character, or a make of footwear.

These are all things that I like, most most especially the lively; high-spirited young women and the word "bust."

Maybe "filibuster" excites me as a word because it connotates all that.

No comments: