Sunday, February 14, 2010

How you know when you've made a really dumb mistake

Classic mix-up: NBC confuses Terry Fox and Michael J. Fox
By Trey Kerby

Terry Fox is a Canadian legend whose cross-Canada run, the Marathon of Hope, inspired Canadians while raising money for cancer research. Michael J. Fox is a Canadian actor who starred in the legendary "Back to the Future" trilogy and has become an advocate for Parkinson's disease research. They're pretty easy to confuse for each other. Right, NBC?



It's understandable to misspeak the name during a live setting, so we can give Meredith Vieira a pass. But the graphics are a little harder to explain, especially considering the broadcast actually showed Terry Fox before switching to the "Family Ties" star.

I'm guessing NBC would love to take a DeLorean back to last night to get this right. Zing!



You know how I know this was a really dumb mistake? Because, I don't care about, nor do I follow sports. In my own country, let alone the Canadlians. Many if not most of you know that.

But even I know who Terry Fox was.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

I had the very great privilege of meeting Terry Fox as he brought his Marathon of Hope to my hometown. I think I was 8 or 9. He was tired, but smiling, and very humble and nice. I remember thinking he was awesome, and that he was going to complete his journey.

Ben Varkentine said...

See? For once, being Canadlian pays off.