Wednesday, August 01, 2012

DVDs and desktops


Hello, vast reading audience.  I'm in the market for a couple of things in the next few months, so I thought I'd open up the "floor" to comments.

The first is a Blu-ray/DVD player.  My old DVD player has recently gone about as dumb as a cheerleader stereotype.  The very nice man at the shop tells me it makes much more sense to replace it and upgrade to Blu-ray than to spend the money on repair.

My desired features are fairly minimal, I don't have HD TV, so I just want a good picture quality, easy-to-use, fast loading player.  I'd also like to aim at keeping it under $150.  

The second thing I'm looking for is a new computer.  This device on which I'm typing has been very good to me; I wrote the best things I've written yet on it, but it's also really old and runs like a dog being kicked uphill.

Here again, my needs are fairly simple.  I don't game; I don't mess much with photos (hop) or digital photography.  I just need something on which I can browse these here interwebs, write, and download, store, and copy music files. 

Desktop or laptop doesn't really matter.  I've only ever had a desktop PC, and I don't think I've ever missed having something more portable.  But if I found one that met the above needs but was more reasonably priced than a desktop, well then I'd be a fool not to consider it, now wouldn't I? 

PS:  Oh, and here, I'd like to keep the price around $650.

Any thoughts, or am I in dreamland?

2 comments:

Viper said...

You dumbass, hike your price to 1000 and get yourself a laptop. Concentrate on RAM and processor speed (the two that makes the most difference in speed). I'd go with Dell if I was going to get a new one. In fact, I just did, for my daughter. Send any questions to your old pal Viper. P.S. I'm with you with the BluRay. Choose wisely because I thought I got a good one and it bites ass.

Ben Varkentine said...

What do you think of the Dell XPS 8500?