Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Consquences, Smonsequences

I don't want to single anybody out, but I get the idea there are one or two of you who think Roberts', and then Alito's, confirmation to the Supreme Court wasn't really that big a deal. Or worth paying as much attention to as did some blogs (including this one).

I wonder how you feel about the recent bills in South Dakota and Mississippi banning most abortions with the only exception being if the mother's life is in danger, but not in the case of rape or incest?

Here's how Digby feels about it (via firedoglake)
I just realized that those nuts in South Dakota might be having an unanticipated effect. I am working today and this guy said to me over lunch, "I can't believe that these people are really serious." He's a bit of a putz and he admitted that he'd believed women were exaggerating the threat. I said "I hope you're ready to be daddies, boys. Last time abortion was illegal they didn't have DNA testing" and they all looked stunned.


Those of you who thought it got a little shrill in the confirmation battle: Sleep tight, knowing that everything would be better if everyone just played nice.

Ladies: Enjoy control over your uterus while you can.

And any Democratic elected officals who may be looking in: Thanks for fighting the hard fight.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Shame on those legislators in S. Dakota and Mississippi! Last time I checked, my uterus was mine to do with as I please. Thank God I don't live there.

Anonymous said...

What is the difference between killing an unborn baby and killing a 1 year old? It is easy to say outlawing abortion is denying a woman control over her body but it is female babies in China and India that are aborted at a vastly greater rate than male babies, what women are speaking up for them? What about long term studies of the psychological affecs of aborting your baby? I am not allowed to use illegal drugs, is that a violation of my right to control my own body?