Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Adding insult to injury

From the Connecticut Post Online:

Paul McCartney and his second wife, Heather Mills McCartney, said Wednesday that they are separating after nearly four years of marriage, blaming intrusion from the media


I have a hard time beliving that's the real reason; you'd think if anyone knew how to deal with intrusion from the media by now it'd be Paul McCartney. And although she may not have been accustomed to dealing with quite his level of fame, wasn't she a model before they even met?

That said, it can't be helpful to have your separation from your wife broadcasted around the world with headlines line "Love Me Don't" and "McCartney, Wife Can't 'Work It Out."

McCartney is about to turn 64, and this is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wish I could send a message to every newspaper editor or writer everywhere who will write about him in any context that year:

Don't do it. Just avoid the temptation. We all know it's there, it's too easy. Just be grown up about this thing.

For similar reasons I avoided listening to the radio for the entire year of 1999. I mean, I've always said Prince was a musical genius, but...

3 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

That's sad. However, there was a great deal of media animosity when he married Linda, too, and he was with her until her death, so this excuse sounds hollow.

It's so tempting to "go there," though. And I still love "When I'm Sixty-Four". It's certainly less offensive than "My Love".

Ben Varkentine said...

It's not that I dislike the song. It's that I'm dreading "clever" headlines like:

We Still Need Him, Now He's 64

jeopardygirl said...

Yeah, it's easy, and it's tempting, but it's still lame. Hmmm...