Sunday, May 14, 2006

As "Huff" starts to go after the "L Word" dollar

Jen-"JeopardyGirl", who I turned onto the Showtime series "Huff," wrote me a few weeks ago that this season she was really disliking the character of Beth, Huff's wife. At the time I defended the character, but with the last couple of episodes I've done an almost complete 180.

Last week ended with a precious scene in which Beth, who had lately been on a spirtual quest, visiting a church in the middle of the night and mewling something about looking for her family. No Beth, your family is back at the house. You'll know them, they're the ones you keep shouting at when you should be talking (and listening!) to them.

And this week, Bethy goes out drinking with an old college buddy (female) and they end up making out in the ladies room.

Earlier in the episode, Huff gave a concise encapsulation of the schizophrenic (ironic, for this series) road his wife has been on this season, the impulsive choices she makes...which only seem to last for an episode or two, if that.

I couldn't help yelling at the screen, "You'd almost think she were a character on a badly-written television series!"

This is "Huff?"

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

I dunno, I've done sort of a 90 on her. I don't dislike her so much, mostly because she is confused (and I'm usually confused), and confused people do random and stupid things, like make out with the wrong people (sometimes metaphorically).

She's still not my favourite character, and I think she's becoming less of a proper partner for Huff. That said, she was right on the money about Huff's reaction to Bird breaking into people's houses for his art project. I'd be LIVID if that was my kid, and yet Huff seemed to "understand" and almost let him off the hook (haven't seen the latest epi, thanks for the spoiler). :)