Friday, May 05, 2006

The Democrats: It's time for Tough Love

John Aravosis raises the question of whether liberals ought to lay off the Democrats till the election, "for the good of the party.":

I think at some point we can hurt ourselves by helping create a public perception that our party has no message and is spineless. Then again, it’s not like they need much help creating that perception - chicken and egg.


Jedmunds responds:
...when Chuck Schumer decides that Bob Casey will win a Senate seat in Pennsylvania, it’s not only a consequence that he must win that seat without me. It’s a matter of the two of them figuring out how to win that seat with my active, petulant, and whining opposition. When someone like Maria Cantwell decides to vote for cloture on a filibuster of Samuel Alito’s elevation to the Supreme Court, the consequence is that I’m going to have to support her Green opponent, Aaron Dixon for her Senate seat. When Democrats mince around and run from the great “war president” on every issue of national security, no matter how unconsionable, no matter how obviously so, I’m going to say something, and not that I particulary care, but it’s not my words that create a perception, but the actions of meek politicians who create a reality to discern.

I’m not inclined to trouble myself with some sort of mental jujitsu. I just can’t concern myself with the ever futile effort of trying to influence the oligarchs of the democratic party anymore. If Democrats want my support, if they want me to say nice things about them, then it’s up to them to make the effort to get on my good side.

And if I were susceptible to being swayed by frightening spectres into voting against my better judgement, I’d probably be a Republican.

I believe I agree with Jedmunds.

1 comment:

Tahoma Activist said...

Amen, Ben! These people are really losing a lot of support. They should actually try governing from the left sometime. It worked during FDRs' tenure.