Thursday, June 08, 2006

Let's go to the movies, let's go see the stars

Okay, these are quotes from 15 of my favorite movies. How many can you name? And no fair cheating by looking them up; I'll know.

One:
When teenagers complain that they want to be treated like human beings, it's usually because they are being treated like human beings.


Two:
"...nothing I ever do is good enough. Not beautiful enough, it's not funny enough, it's not deep enough, it's not anything enough. Now, when I see a rose, that's perfect. I mean, that's perfect. I want to look up to God and say, 'How the hell did you do that? And why the hell can't I do that?"

"Now that's probably one of your better con lines."

"Yeah, it is. But that doesn't mean I don't mean it."

Three:
Mother? I love art.

Four:
"...who's Ann Miller?"
"Leave this house."

Five:
I resent you. I resent everything about you. You had Mom and Dad's unconditional love, now you have the world's. How could I not envy that? I wish I could say it was because you're so much better looking than me. No, the real pain is that it's something so much harder to bear. You got the good soul; I got the bad one. Think about leaving me yours...

Six:
"He just came in for few hours to uh, to uh, fuck me."
"It takes a few hours."

Seven:
"Now what the Good Master is telling us all right now is that up in Heaven, there are about a hundred million little tiny angels about 'yea' by 'yea', and they all take shorthand. And every time you do something silly, they write it down..."
"No, no."
"That's not what the Good Master is telling us."

Eight:
Then, I was inspired. Now, I'm sad and tired.

Nine:
"Are you nervous?"
"No."
"Good. My nervousness exists on several levels; number one, and this is in no particular order, I haven't done this in a pretty long time. Number two, uh, any expectations that you might have, given the fact that I'm... you know..."
"The most powerful man in the world?"
"Exactly, thank you. I think it's important you remember that's a political distinction, it comes with the office."

10:
"What's the boogeyman?"
"As a matter of fact... that was."

11:
I don't want you
You bust me up
I don't need you
You burn me up
I don't love you
You plug me in
Leave me alone
You switch me on
I'm self-contained
You light me up
Just go away

12:
"You were wonderful! We're free!"
"Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan!"

13:
"It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression."
"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality."

14:
"I'll meet you at the place, near the thing, where we went, that time."
"Okay, I'll meet you there."

15:
Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune...I LOVE the corps!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. is familiar, but, like amee and/or gavin, I just can't place it.

2. is All That Jazz.

8. is Jesus Christ Superstar.

11. is Bedazzled (one of the best movies ever). ("You fill me with inertia.")

12. is Spies Like Us (I think).

15. is Aliens.

Ben Varkentine said...

Hint for the first one: I mentioned it here recently.

Amee, I know you've seen at least one of them, we watched it together.

Admadm, you get a star for all your answers...except #12, which is *not* Spies Like Us.

The Red Queen said...

1 is Heathers, and I was sure that 12 was Spies Like Us too. I'm lost on the others though.

Ben Varkentine said...

Red, correct for 1. As for 12...you're both thinking too much pure comedy. Those are funny lines, but the film itself is not one you'd find in the comedy section of Scarcrow Video.

Bill said...

A few that I could immediately get:

10. Halloween

13. Life of Brian (which I wrote about recently)

14. Broadcast News (figures you'd have a James L. Brooks flick in there)

12. is a James Bond flick, but I'm thinking it's one that came out after I stopped paying super close attention . . .

Ben Varkentine said...

Correct on all counts!

Ben Varkentine said...

No, that was Playing By Heart-the film that had me thinking Jon Stewart had a future in the movies. Hey, I was half right...he had a future...

Notice I didn't say we watched it in a theater together...

Ben Varkentine said...

You flatter me, madam.