Thursday, June 08, 2006

You are so rare to me (UPDATED)

Since he figured out how to post embedded video clips on his blog, something that still eludes me (I'm so ignorant of technology we're lucky I can understand the chair), Mark Evanier has been something of a precious resource.

Well, he kinda already was, but...skip it. I was just looking for a cute way to link to Mark's presentation of a clip from the great old Sid Caesar show. It shows Sid, Carl Reiner and Howie Morris doing a takeoff on the then-new phenomenon of rock n' roll groups and teen idols.

Sometimes when you look back at things like this the people taking the shots come off as smug and condescending jackasses who are about to be left behind by the freight train of history. Not so here.

The trio take the shots where they deserve to be taken and they do it with such commitment and they're having such obvious fun that this clip is still funny some 50-odd years (give or take) since it was first broadcast.

Also, at one point, I swear you can see Caesar inventing breakdancing. Enjoy.

UPDATE: And Shakespeare's Sister found the DS desk segments I mentioned. If you're anything like me, you'll laugh till tears come out of your eyes.

PS: Or if clips from great comedy shows of the past aren't your thing, Mark also found the entire Stewart vs. Bennett debate from the night before last.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Thanks, Ben. You're a valuable resource, too. Esso and I enjoyed both those links.

The Red Queen said...

For video links: If you find them on youtube you can just cut and paste the html code for embedding it. If you are somewhere else I usually take a screen shot of the video, upload it to blogger and then link the pic back to the original site.