Thursday, July 06, 2006

Here we are again, one year after

Today is the one-year anniversary of Dictionopolis in Digitopolis. When I started this new blog, after two years writing one called The Sound of the Crowd (published via the Ink 19 site), I made a mission statement.

Let's see how I've lived up to my dreams, and how the blog and they have changed. My mission then:

To record my depressing attempts to bring my characters to the screen.

This has changed; I'm now recording my depressing attempts to get my characters published.


To mark the passing of those who should have their passings marked.

Still doing this when people pass whose lives (or more frequently work) has meant something to me.


To indulge in Schadenfreude as Bush's ratings sag.

This has changed, sadly. It's been replaced by the ever-chilling realization that it doesn't matter what the majority of people really want. Too many people in a position to do something about it have too much of their dicks (I mean you, Ms. Clinton) invested in the belief that he's President Bigman Notstupid for anything to ever actually happen.


To act as a self-appointed filter for the "MSM."

See above. As noted, at the moment the attitude that shapes this blog is a simple one. I could do post after post about how little truth sees the light of day, or I could run pictures of Jaime Pressly and Jennifer Connelly. What would you do? One of these things leaves me feeling insanely bad, the other does not.

To pull the covers off hypocritical Republicans.

I hope so, whenever I can, but again, see above. In the words of Bill Murray in Meatballs: It just doesn't matter.


To push for the US to get out of Iraq.

Well yes, obviously. I believe we need to get out now. All the arguments about whether that will make things worse, whether there's a way to stay and make things better blah blah blah, are for me negated by one thing: The people in charge are quite clearly incompetent.

It's not a question of can anything be done, it's a question of can they do it? The answer is obviously no. And until that changes, the only solution is: Get out now.

To occasionally indulge myself by running song lyrics.

To be sure. Most recently, "The Metro" by Berlin. And now that I've figured out how to embed videos occasionally...


To chart the troubling rise of homophobia and related activities in this country.

On a completely unrelated matter, today Georgia and Albany decided, "Let's see, Mississippi and Alabama, 1960...yes! We want to be remembered just as well as they are!"


And yes, though it may not seem so from most of the above, to steal a laugh when and where we can.

I hope to god. There is nothing like a great clown (Nathan Lane, Groucho Marx, Jack Benny) or a witty line of dialogue ("I was misinformed." from Casablanca, many from Buffy/Angel and The Simpsons at their best.) or drawings that just make you smile. They're some of the things that make life worth living.

Even comics I don't think are great anymore (Kevin Smith, Dennis Miller, The Boondocks) still have a bit of my affection just because they were so good once.
Especially by mocking the illiterate, the stupid, and the state of Tennessee.

Always and forever.

2 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

Au, contraire! Just because someone is illiterate, it does not necessarily follow that they are stupid, or vice-versa.

Most people from Tennessee are either one or the other, granted...

And yes, I am enough of a Sorkin/West Wing dork that I know *exactly* the line you're quoting approximately as well as the context.

Fortunately, I'm too cool to spout it.

Tom Hilton said...

Congratulations! Sorry about the whole not being able to fix everything that's fucked up in America thing. I have the same problem.
;-)