Thursday, July 06, 2006

When meeting the people who make the Emmy nominations, just nod, smile and back away slowly

This year a new system was tried in hopes of gaining recognition for some acclaimed but nominationless performers and programs. Didn't take, apparently, because what we have here is a list of the usual suspects.

Up until 10 days ago, I would have been all about 24 being the most-nominated series of the year. Now that the show's creators and actors have openly gotten into bed with the evil wing of the republican party, I have fewer horses in this race.

(Although, by the way, if Hollywood is so liberal...ah, skip it)

Nice to see Candace Bergen get a nod for Boston Legal, but I don't understand why Blythe Danner and Oliver Platt were nominated for Huff. First of all, if any cast member of that thankfully-canceled series deserves recognition, it's Azaria, and second...no cast member of that thankfully-cancelled series deserves recognition. Not this year.

And if you'd have told me there would come a time when I'd be rooting for William Shatner against Oliver Platt, Gregory Itzin and Alan Alda, I'd have said you were crazy. For that matter, I might have said that if you'd told me Jaime Pressly would ever have the words "Emmy-nominated actress" attached to her name...but I suppose Corey will be happy.

Battlestar Galactica appears to be the new Buffy, at least in terms of fans whining about how it never gets the nod. I can't watch the new BG-those aren't Cylons! Cylons have one glowing eye bouncing back and forth on the middle of their forehead like a ping pong ball!-but my feelings to one side, I resigned myself to a basic truth about the Emmys years ago:

If not enough people watch your series, or those who do aren't members of the Academy, you're not going to be nominated. So even though I knew this was almost certainly Lauren Graham's last chance at the brass ring for Gilmore Girls, and Kristen Bell's performance was the best thing about some of last seasons less-than-worthy episodes of Veronica Mars, I had little hope.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

4 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

At least Jaime Pressley actually deserves her nomination; she's amazing in My Name Is Earl. (Unfortunately, her nomination just highlights the omission of Jason Lee.)

Just curious: as a GG fan, do you still get upset about the annual Lauren Graham snub? Because I really disliked this season, but I still think she deserved a nomination.

Ben Varkentine said...

My friend Corey swears by My Name Is Earl, but I've never watched it. I think I can't get past the mustache.

I don't get upset about the LG snub because I'm resigned to it. As I said-deserve has nothing to do with it.

It's how many people are watching and who they are.

Michael Hickerson said...

You should give Earl a try as it's a riot. I like 2.5 Men, but it's not quite in the same league as Earl. Both make me fall on the floor with laughter at times though, which for me is the mark of a good sitcom.

That said, I have to say you should give the new BSG a fair shot. BEST SHOW ON TV, bar none. I know that the original is a nostalgic favorite, but if you re-watch it, it's kind of cruddy in spots. The new one..holy cow, I can't wait for October...

Ben Varkentine said...

It's not just nostalgia for the original. Yes, I know a lot of that was crap, but it's my childhood.

I've tried to watch the new BSG but to my ear the dialogue is so painfully bad, and the overall tone so bloated in self-importance, that I was unable to complete an episode.