Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things To Be Thankful For, 2006

As always, in no particular order:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Okay, so it's not like this is a new thing. But in this past year or so I've really started to think about what an effect Douglas Adams' legendary multi-media piece had on me. It's one of things I quote so often you may not always be aware I'm doing it (I'm not even sure I am).

Kate Winslet. Even her eyebrows make me crazy.

John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin.

Mad About You reruns.

My West Wing dvds.

Scritti Politti's new album (about which you'll be hearing more later). Having lately decided that the Pet Shop Boys and I need to go our separate ways, it's heartwarming to know someone from back in the day is still doing stuff I like.

Garry Trudeau.

For the one percent of you who will get this: THE KING! rat tat tat tat AIR FORCE! rat tat tat tat MARINES! rat tat tat tat DEPARTMENT OF THE SANITARY! BOOM!

The Dixie Chicks.

Finally discovering Sgt Bilko, thanks to Mark's blog.

Mark's blog.

My favorites from the Jay Ward studios, Mr. Peabody and Sherman.

Bill Sherman's blog.

My nephew. This weekend I spent a few hours with him, just the two of us. I took him to a park and two or three girls, some of them slightly older (he's four), were very nice about playing with him. While I of course tripped on the Keitha & Colley-ness of it all.

Keitha, Colley and Annabel.

Anne Hathaway. I am without words.

House and the fact that I triumphed over technology by learning to tape it while Veronica Mars is on.

Amber Benson.

Corey Klemow. For his support. For his being one of the only people I can talk geek with about Veronica, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Doctor Who (otherwise I'd just inflict more of it on you). For his constructive comments. For being fun to argue with because he doesn't seem to have anything to prove even when he's completely wrong and I'm completely right (such as about Bones).

Two series of books by two writers both called Simon: Simon Brett's Charles Paris novels, and Simon Callow's multi-volume Orson Welles biography.

Bob Black for all his help.

John Edwards. I get queasy at the thought of saying I even believe in such things as political heroes, but still: If I were endorsing anybody, it'd be him.

Roger Ebert being, reportedly, "on the mend" and the fact that he's writing again. I don't care so much when or if he returns to his TV gig, but I love to read his writing.

Johnny Cash.

Am'ee. My one regret is-well, she knows what my one regret is. And speaking of Sinfests;

Sinfest. Are any of the rest of you following that little link over to the right there, I hope I hope I hope?

Veronica getting a (nearly) full season order and more importantly, slowly but surely rebuilding the trust they lost from me as a viewer last season. Of course, he reminds himself, last year at this same time I still thought VM was one of the greatest dramas on television, so I reserve the right to recall these thanks if they blow it again.

Studio 60, its cast, directors, and oh yeah that writer guy, and the fact that it's been given a chance to grow.

As always, the ever-lovely, and much missed, Kirsty MacColl.

The Nine, the latest episode of which I've just watched and once again been impressed by. My only niggle remains: Just how long can they sustain it? Which, given that ABC doesn't seem to in as patient a mood as NBC and the CW (for perhaps obvious reasons), may not be an open question much longer.

Bones. The first thing that attracted me-surprise-was the always entertaining dialogue, but as I've been able to watch more of it this season I've found I've come to care for the characters a little bit. It's a series that's definitely grown on me and gains from coming to know the characters week in week out.

James Bond movies.

Bobby Darin (about whom you'll also be hearing more later).

Random Flickr blogging.

Columbo w/Peter Falk.

This year I had the odd experience of a couple different women apparently wanting to be, he said discretely, more to me than I wanted to be to them. I'm not exactly thankful for these experiences but it's nice to know people care.

The fact that, (to date) none of the stars of my favorite sitcoms of the '90s have had very public, very fast flameouts...okay except maybe Andy Dick, but that one's just lingering...

The songs in Xanadu. Shut up.

And oh yes, that election didn't suck, did it? Among the minor triumphs, it made me feel much better about watching 24 next year. The producers may think Bush would be Jack Bauer's bestest friend ever in the world, but the country just gave that a great big vote of no confidence. That's how I'd like to see it, anyway.

No comments: